Habbous District or New Medina is one of the oldest districts in Casablanca. Its origins trace back to the year 1916 during the French colonization. The existence of the Moroccan Ministry of Islamic Affairs and bookstores of Moroccan and Arabic publishing houses in Habbous District has established it as the cultural and religious center for Casablanca and Morocco. Its historical buildings are what attract tourists due to its idealistic reflection of the combination of Arabic and Islamic architecture with the European architecture. In addition, it is full of traditional souks and modern kiosks which present a mixture of old and modern products, including leather products, jewelry, traditional clothes, soaps, spices and more.